Wednesday, September 24, 2008

overwhelmed

I'm feeling a little swamped right now. The whole gas thing is a little distressing. I can't get to work, which is a problem not because I need the money (because I don't--I'm not a very extravagant person, and believe me, if wages were important to me I wouldn't be working so hard for so little), but because they need me on the farm. Until the season slows down (believe it or not, we're still working like fiends just to keep up with the milk production), work in the cheese kitchen will be unrelenting. I'm talking 12-hour days here. I called my boss to tell her I couldn't come in because there's no gas anywhere around and I don't have enough gas in my tank to drive around looking for it. She was very understanding as she explained to me that she had thrown out her back and was sick and so her son would be doing the cheesemaking that day. Needless to say I'm feeling a little worried about that situation.

Then, there's the fact that schoolwork is piling on, and it will be awhile before I can dig my way out. I currently have 20 books on Charles Baudelaire sitting on my desk looking forlornly up at me. They need to be read, and I'm not so sure as to when I will be getting around to that. I think I shall be very good at skimming by the end of this semester. Then, there's the load of French reading that I have to do, and although I can read French well, it still takes longer that I think it should. The interesting thing is that though I am taking fewer hours than I ever have, I have more work than ever before, and I am staying up later...and later...and later in my attempt to get things done. I'm thinking that my semester abroad will be a vacation compared to this in spite of the culture shock I will undoubtedly have to deal with.

You might be wondering why on earth I'm blogging about this instead of doing my work, which would undoubtedly be more productive. Well, I don't suppose I have an answer to that. Maybe...bitching feels nice sometimes? Is that legit?

No comments: