Sunday, February 10, 2008

Beautiful Things for a Terrible Week

Life has not been ideal lately. It is February, I have been unemployed since late November, and everything seems to be working together to thwart me. Right now I would give most anything for a good night's sleep, but I know that the moment I lay down I will suddenly feel wide-awake. So, there is only one thing I can think of to do about it--I have to dredge up three beautiful things from this absolutely dreadful week. For someone in a pessimistic frame of mind this will not be easy, but I think that of all the things I could write about this is probably the best choice.

1.) I hadn't had root beer in a long time. It occurred to me that I really wanted some. I bought a bottle. I opened it, and it made that little hissing sound. A plume of bottled up carbonation snaked out. The first sip was the most refreshing thing I've tasted in ages.

2.) In university gyms they always seem to play MTV on the tele. I rely on my ipod to get me through my workouts. Every once in a while, though, they play something worthwhile, and every so often there's a music video that isn't just a bunch of masturbating. I recently had the pleasure of seeing a truly spectacular music video that even made me laugh out loud. Coheed and Cambria's "Feathers."

3.) Laying in bed until 11:30 on a Sunday morning and not regretting a minute of my laziness.

1 comment:

Cynthia S. said...

*smile* 3BTs... even in a ghastly week, that's something! I'm glad you found them. Haven't had a root beer in forever; might have to try one again. Dinosaur dial-up at home won't let me check out the youtube-->tomorrow at work.

sid