Friday, October 17, 2008

Voting

I had the privilege to vote early today. This was my first time voting for a president, and the only reason I'm not totally cynical about it is that there is some rumor that NC might go democrat this time around. It's just a rumor, but I'm clinging like dew to a clover leaf to the thought that it's possible.

I'm of the opinion that neither presidential candidate is really all that progressive. It gets me down that Obama wants to talk about clean coal (which does not exist), and I think McCain is totally tripping in general, but I do espouse the doctrine of the lesser evil, and I voted accordingly. What worries me most is that no matter who is elected, they basically get to inherit a toxic waste dump with nothing to aid them in cleaning it up but some rubber gloves and maybe a shovel. I heard something today on NPR (my consciousness goes in and out when I listen to NPR, so I can only talk about this in vague terms) about how presidents elected in times of economic depression can enact sweeping reforms virtually unimpeded by congress, but I believe the example they cited for this was back in the 30's, and the only congress I know gets along with the executive branch like pinto beans get along with my stomach. So, we'll see. But I voted. Because I can.

In other news, the goats are all a little horny. Wait. Did I just say a little horny? Ho ho ho. Well, the bucks smell like ammonia and they've managed to piss on themselves enough to turn their hair into this lovely shade of jaundice yellow. I got within 10 feet of one today, and my nose did this tingly thing, and my eyes watered. The does seem to like it, and they wag their tails at the bucks in a very suggestive manner. You can have 'em, sweetheart. Hopefully, after everyone is bred and settled, the milk flow will start to wane, and I can stop making so much cheese. I really, honestly love my job even after all the trials and tribulations I have been through, but I'm getting pretty sick of chevre.

It's everywhere. I smell like it. I can taste it even when I'm not eating it. In fact, I haven't eaten it in a while because I've had my fill. Some people are mourning the coming of winter and the resulting lack of chevre, but I am so, so glad that our goat cheese is a seasonal thing. For one, you appreciate it more, and for another, your body appreciates it when you cut back a little. I know there are people out there who buy a lot of local cheese in anticipation for the winter, and I really don't blame them. Cheese is essential. But when you make cheese all the time you are relieved to know that there is a little window when you don't have to make cheese or eat it, at least not substantially.

And besides, when I go to France I'm counting on an abundance of really superb fromage (et vin), so I'd better cut back while I can.

No comments: