Monday, August 18, 2008

Goat tits!


I'm sorry. I really, really couldn't resist. In my opinion you have not lived fully until you have stood at the wrong end of a goat. Yes my friends. This is where milk comes from. Before it is filtered, chilled, pasteurized, and chilled again, this is where it comes from (if you drink cow milk it's basically the same idea, just bigger and with more teats). It does not come from cartons. Maybe you know this, but I don't think you get it. It's easy to acknowledge that milk comes from animals, but it's not so easy to actually milk them and then clean up after them. You get to know the animals by their udders. The goats in this picture are all saanens. Saanens are uniformly white, and so it is very difficult to tell them apart by face or body alone (although some goats have unmistakable qualities--a long beard, a wide body, etc.), but you can tell them apart by their udders. Some goats are just heavy milkers. They produce a remarkable amount of milk. Some are light milkers (these are usually first time fresheners--that means they have been bred one time). Some goats have large, hard udders but do not produce much. Some have small, modest udders but produce much more than you might imagine. I found this hilarious when I first started recognizing goats by their udders. Hopefully you will find it equally hilarious.

No comments: